Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Probably not....

I was still playing in bands, since the first man had walked on the moon a few years earlier, the promise of technology was more exciting then what was being delivered. The first 4- computer on a chip was introduced with little or no fanfare by a small company called, Intel. Silicon Valley was still filled with fruit orchards and the tech residents living there all worked for the military contractors with secret clearances.

Rotary phone were still the regular unless you paid more to get TouchTone service. Cable TV was just getting started and color TVs were still proliferating. The Japanese invastion of consumer gear had just begun and the mom-and-pop local store couldn't stay open on the margins they offered. Mail order flyers abounded on college campuses offering cheap stereos on which to play your new Allman Bros and Led Zep LPs, perhaps with an 8-track tape player so you could bring in those half-melted carts from your Chevy SS396 that would start costing you big $$ in gas the following year.

Nixon was cooking up some cool break-ins at the time, as I recall.

On the good side, you could buy all the Telefunken tubes you wanted for cheap, cheap, cheap since most every one was buying into the promise of Solid State electronics.

Nah! I think I'll take 2007......

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Probably not.... - doodlebug 05:22:07 05/12/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.