Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Toshiba receiver story

I recently picked up a Toshiba SA-735 receiver. This was in a buddy's
garage for several years. Before that, his wife found it in a pile of
junk when she bought an old locker/storage unit.

After removing the old car parts stacked on top of the receiver and
getting it home, I removed the cover and did a visual inspection of
the unit. One blown power supply fuse was covered in foil. I
replaced this with the correct fuse. I hoped this wasn't a problem
with the PS. All other fuses looked good. I measured them anyway.
Nothing looked burned.

I brought power up slowly on a variac. Starting at 30vac, I brought
up the AC slowly over the next 2 hours.

Once at full power, I checked the dc voltage on the speaker taps. I
got less than 75mV so I figured the output transistors must be ok.

I turned off the power, hooked up some bench speakers and an FM
antenna (a piece of 16g stranded wire - no dipole in the junk box).
Powered back up (using variac again but just turned the dial up the
117vac) and listened to the sound. I went though all switches noting
any problematic ones. Balance switch was loose and cut out sound,
volume scratchy, tape monitor switches good, speaker switches good, no
hum from PS caps. Also look for any burned out lamps. Only one found
by the dial but with three others, not even noticeable.

I powered the receiver down. I went out side and carefully blew out
the 30 years of dust. Be careful to blow 'down stream' so you don't
breath in the dust. Also, don't hit the variable caps (or air gap
caps). These can be fragile.

Lightly cleaned all switches. I've read one problem with these older
Toshiba receivers is the power switch also controls the speaker
outputs. These are known to break without any replacements available.
I didn't spray any contact cleaner on this switch.

The loose balance switch required me to re-solder the pins on the PCB.
Removing the PCB for access was a challenge but re-wetting the pins
fixed the problem. Re-attached the board, switches and heat sinks to
the chassis and fired it back up. Balance switch now working.

Now only AM. The am/fm/aux/phono switch wasn't working. Looking at
the selector switch, the center pin was falling out. I was able to
work the pin back in. This fixed the switch. Note to self: be more
careful with the contact cleaner.

The receiver now works but looks very dirty. I removed all the knobs
(carefully noting the bass and treble locations) and face plate. A
bit of Windex to remove the grime, some soapy water to remove the
Windex and a good rinse brought out a nice silver shine to everything.
All labeling in very good condition.

Applied a bit of wood restore stain to the cabinet. Re-attached all
the knobs. Hooked up the speakers and started enjoying this little
35w/c receiver. About the only thing I didn't do was to dial down the
dc offset or hook up a scope to 'center' the tone controls. Since
this is going into the brewery, it isn't *that* important.

While looking for bargains, don't over look your buddy's garage junk
pile. You might find a gem. I feel I did.

rick


This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  


Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Toshiba receiver story - rickl 08:56:59 02/23/07 (0)


You can not post to an archived thread.