Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Kenwood or Technics? (receivers)

In response to David's post concerning the Technics SA-350, I also bought one of these units a while ago (I saw it at a yard sale for about 3 bucks, so I thought "what the hell"). I'd agree with David that the thing does produce a lot of heat, even at lower volumes, and I would agree that it's got plenty of power (although I've never really pushed it, the lower and middle volumes are more than enough for my purposes). Unfortunately, I'm really not too impressed with the sound--the bass seems weird, kind of boomy at times. Furthermore, I've noticed some issues with its ability to reproduce some mid range sound (on one particular CD I noticed that an entire guitar solo was virtually lost because the sound was so muddy and ill-defined!) Needless to say, although I don't regret dropping the whopping sum of 3 dollars to try out something that was new to me, I don't use this particular piece of equipment at all anymore and I'll be looking to sell or give it away soon (it's been sitting in my closet, and I've returned to the sweet sounds of my Sansui 5000)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Kenwood or Technics? (receivers) - vega33 10:25:39 02/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.