Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Megapixels

Allow me to comment on the megapixel issue. The extra pixels are not wasted on a good camera like a Canon G6, or G7 or a Pro 1. I do agree that with a good lens and a good set of in-camera algorithms, you only need about 3 MP for an excellent 8" x 10" print. However, if you want to crop, either in the PC or in-camera with "digital zoom", you need a lot of extra pixels in order to have 3 MP left over after a crop. Cropping only 40% in height cuts down the pixels left by 2:1. So if you want a crisp looking 8 x 10 print, and you want to crop by 40%, you need to start with 6 MP. If you want to crop more, you need more to start with. But, of course, you can't do this with a cheap lens; and that's where a lot of the less expensive high Mp cameras fall down.

My wife's Canon A700 has 6 MP and takes nice pictures; but I doubt the lens is capable of taking advantage of much more (the similar A710IS has 7.1 MP). Same is true of the typical 18-55 mm kit lenses on the Canon Rebel Series and the Nikon D40 and D50. Nikon wisely offers their 18-55 on the 6 MP SLR's, while Canon offers theirs on the Rebel XT (8 MP) and the XTi (10 MP) and even the 30D.

Bottom line is that higher MP counts do have their advantages and can be important; but the lens does play a role in determining the usability of all those pixels.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.