Radio Road

RE: Hey Rich, you are right on the money!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Radio Road ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Certainly, but I believe VTV did a great job given the circumstances. This was right before the internet boom and the resurgence of vintage tube gear due to eBay and such.

For an informal shootout, It's a good read!

While true that most 40 year old pieces are in bad need of restoration, I can only wonder myself at the longevity of the 10B's original parts. Simply amazing!

I used to replace all caps wholesale on vintage units, but given the collectible status of the Marantz, I won't replace anything unless it's broken. Specially since the unit is working so well.

One advantage of using the CL-90 inrush limiter is that it actually reduces the incoming line voltage a few volts which should compensate for the higher AC voltages today. Also, some of the Amperex Bugle Boy heaters tend to flash brightly at power up. This effect completely disappears with the CL-90.

BTW, In my research of the 10B's history I've become interested in the original model 10 and the less than 100 units produced.

Recently, a model 10 was auctioned on eBay. I saved the pictures for posterity.

The unit had a chrome plated chassis and black front panel cover. The IFs are in cans on top of the chassis, as described by Sid and Dick in the article.

The front panel looks a little weird with the smaller knobs at the ends. I also noticed there's no "external" input for other sources.

I'm attaching a pic of the beast...

Follow Ups: