Radio Road

Hey Rich, you are right on the money!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Radio Road ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

This particular example was used a lot, judging by the amounts of crud that I had to clean off the faceplate & chassis, plus dim scope. Surprisingly the 6JK6 tubes tested all very strong on my B&K 707, actually pegging the needle at the green side of the scale!

So, the myth that the 10-B's eats IF strip tubes could well be unfounded.

My unit has its "battle scars" on the front panel, but I can live with them. It shows them with pride. Its a warrior that still performs as new.

Makes total sense that the "well used" units are the ones that work the best. My unit certainly proves it!

Thanks for the advise on the glass. I had read previous posts of yours about the fragile lettering and decided not to mess with it. I can see some dust when the unit is on, but running the dial lights in the dim position conceals the speckles well enough. Not too picky about that.

Much rather have some dust inside but intact lettering than some of it flaking off!

I was browsing the web for 10-B information the other day, and came across a site from a fellow who, fascinated by the 10-B, took a whole bunch of very nice pictures. He went as far as to disassemble the front panel to show the naked scope and control shafts.

Unfortunately, the lettering didn't look quite as sharp on some of the pics. Perhaps he messed up the dial glass markings when putting the thing back together!

BTW, I also bought a copy of VTV's issue on the 10B with the tuner shootout. Cool that you were part of that article. It must have been great to listen to so many classic pieces, and also to witness the Marantz coming out as the champ!

The article by Mike Z with interviews of Sid, Sequerra and Saul was great also!

Best,
crooner

Edits: 11/20/07

Follow Ups: