Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: How about excellent FM from anywhere in the World for $275?

Todd,

As you may have noticed, in my Asylum posts, I go for quantity rather than quality-and my left-handed, dyslexic spelling is an adjunct to writing in a second language.

It's a dilemna with me whether to pursue the MR67 to conclusion. On one hand, I see it as the last chance to enjoy analogue FM at a high level. This is akin to buying a 5 litre, 400HP car and enjoying squandering the last few gallons of petrol before it's impossibly dear. Actually I drive a 6.3 litre, 300HP car that gets only 12-14 mpg- irresponsible, but I'll be able to tell other people's grandchildren what it was like to waste resources and pollute the planet before the era of being subject to arrest and bankruptcy! On the other, I feel that any day now, it will transpire that all broadcasts will be digital and I'll have to have a digital detector/decoder in front of the tuners that anyway are 90% of the tuner- the tuner would become only an expensive pre-pre amplifier,and the sound will lose any residual magic.

The DAC I referred to is the Chinese one in the link in my earlier post, the "AH"- also available apparently as a kit for $135. I should emphasise that I've never heard this DAC, I'm only responding to the raves over on "Digital".

I've done comparisons between streaming from the M-Audio soundcard into the solid state Audio Research system and the B160, MR77, and MR77 and certainly on a good day, the sound from the analogue tuners is preferable to the streaming sound- the MR67 is nearly miraculous when the signal is strong, but in my situation in the hills, with an indoor antenna- when the signal is weak and there's a tremndous interferrence and bandwidth constriction here- crowded air plus- the sound streaming is better- if I can't receive and select the signal the audio quality is competely moot. My current idea is to set up a linked array of two half wave antennas in the future- something I need to study- but of course I could never get Boston or London except with my own satellite.

Epistomology- that's a favourite subject of mine and I've been working -quite awhile- on a book on the subject of the depiction of space in 2-dimensional art, that necessarily looks into sensory perception, religion, art, and science as belief systems.

You're welcome to eamil anytime.

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: How about excellent FM from anywhere in the World for $275? - Bambi B 09:24:31 09/12/06 (1)
    • Okay... - Todd A. 13:28:07 09/12/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.