Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Advice on an Tuner: Dynaco FM-5 or Kenwood KT-8300 or

hi michael,

i haven't heard the dyanco, so i cannot comment. there was some discussion on it, tho, as to parts nla if it fails. may be something to consider. re; the kt-8300, i owned the kt-9900 - the bronze-faced iteration of that tuna. while it was a beauty, it was strictly average sonically. excellent sensitivity, tho. if yure willing to invest another $300 into it for mods by someone like bill ammons, you will then have one of the best tunas out there. i owned a bill-ammons-modded kt-7550, & it was one of the best, imo. and stock, the kt7500/7550 doesn't compare to the stock kt-8300/9900.

but, spending $300 to mod a $300 tuna means yure now looking at a substantial investment. mite be worth it, cuz it's so nice looking! ;~) however, if yure strictly concerned about sonics, & don't wanna spend a lot, here's a list of tuna that sound a lot nicer than the kt-8300, for the same money, or less - in some cases a lot less. these are ones i have actually owned.

sumo aurora
sumo charlie (w/rack handles)
hitachi ht-8000
nikko gamma 1
rotel rt-1024
mitsubishi da-f20
sony st-730es
sansui tu-517/717
sansui tu-719
meridian 204
philips ah-185
technics st-9030
technics st-8600/9600
pioneer f-91
luxman t-12

of the ones on the list above, the hitachi, the nikko & the philips can be usually had for ~$100, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. definitely overachievers. all of these are near as-good-as-it-gets, imo. sure, i may have my preferences, but others may disagree. different systems & reception conditions can also play a part. but any will be better than a stock kt-8300 imo. if difficult reception conditions are a concern, the luxman, the philips & the technics st-8600/9600 aren't quite as sensitive as the others in my above list, imo...

re: antennae, if ya want to get the aps-13, i heartily recommend that one, but the aps9b will be equaled or bettered by the winegard hd-6065, imo, and at half the price.

hth,

doug s.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.