Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Picking up a station 350 miles away

Listen to Timbo. He is our resident voice of RF sanity. I've been an RF engineer for my 32 year Career, have designed antenae as well. I hate the term "pull in", antennae are passive devices, like a lens. Lens don't image things they are not pointed at. They do best when the subject is "on-axis", that is they are 'directive', as are antenna designed for DXing. That 'whip' on your car (if old enough) is cylindrical and so responds as well in all directions in a circle around it's axis. It's omnidirectional. A directional antenna is like a ;figure' bra, it takes what you have and squeezes it it in the desired direction.
I used to listen to KUSC as well, while at UCLA. Depending on where your folks are relative to the Coastal Range you may be able to get some signal from Sunnyvale as the Bay and corridor point north are relatively flat. 350 miles is a challenge, though. I'd set them up with internet streaming, if available.
Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Picking up a station 350 miles away - kingjim1954 16:50:07 09/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.