Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Bose Wave Radio/CD - Scratchy Noises When Off

I found this in the e-waste at work (it's the one whose CD player in under a lid on the top of the radio, which also has the various control buttons embedded in it). When I first plugged it in, it seemed to work perfectly - FM, AM, CD - and sounded about like I expected, a resonant peak around 60 Hz masquerading as a low end, but not terrible. A couple days later I noticed maybe why it was in the trash - when it's turned off (plugged in but off), occasionally you can hear faint, intermittent scratchy, staticy noises from one of the speakers (the right one).

I've had the unit open, looked around (as much as I could without a complete disassembly), saw the usual dust and debris from sitting on a shelf for a decade. No leaking capacitors, no obvious corrosion or burned parts. Cleaned it up where I could and reassembled it - scratchy noise (of course) still there.

Interestingly, if I turn it on but turn the volume down to 0, the scratchy noise stops. Turn it off and the scratchy noise starts up again.

Setting aside opinions concerning the quality of the unit (remember I found it in the trash), I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be causing that noise. I am handy with a soldering iron, just not sure where to start with this one. If I can fix it for free, it might go in the kitchen.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Bose Wave Radio/CD - Scratchy Noises When Off - JonM 15:40:31 05/08/16 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.