Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Yes if you have metal tanks etc in the roof that could affect any antenna up there. Foil insulation, too.

Though it depends; if the tank will be behind where the directional antenna is pointing it isn't an issue.

I now have a whole bunch of foil-coated ducting in the roof space and that finally killed my plans for a large rhombic up there.

That's one of the reasons why we decided on a new pair of antennas on the old mast array for FM and DTV. The other being the SO's attitude to a ceiling rhombic! ;-)

Yes you can put a rhombic wire antenna in the yard but then you need to deal with static charges and lightning.

And, UV stable 300 ohm ribbon might be unobtainium these days, so you might need to build two single wire rhombics to maximise the gain. Depends on how long the sides will be.

There is a good book on 'receiving antennas' by Joe Carr published in the USA, which covers static and lightning.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yes if you have metal tanks etc in the roof that could affect any antenna up there. Foil insulation, too. - Timbo in Oz 14:51:59 04/11/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.