Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

It will have a mains AC power cable wich plugs into an

AC socket on the wall or one on the back of the receiver, to power the turntable. That is, in addition to the twin RCA lead for the phono audio signal out and into the rcvr, to amplify it.

It might also have a ground wire coming out of it. Many if not most turntables do.

So it is most unlikely that the turntable has only one lead coming out of the back.

Inspect the signal leads right back into the turntable and look for a thin third one that has been cut off or left inside the turntable.

It's a rcvr - so it just WILL have antenna terminals. So, there will be a ground terminal for both AM and for FM, and it might be just a single shared Gd terminal for all radio and phono. Try it with the ground wire from the turntable.

Also put an actual FM antenna on to those terminals and a single length of wire on the AM antenna post. That can't hurt.

I have to ask. Why did they buy an FM receiver if they weren't going to attach an antenna - to receive FM - to it? Most of them come with a basic T antenna in the box for this purpose. Connecting it is a vital step if you want to receive FM signals at all well.

LBNL the rcvr just might need repair.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 11/03/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It will have a mains AC power cable wich plugs into an - Timbo in Oz 01:23:59 11/03/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.