Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Some thoughts about apartments FM and tall buildings?

Two big problems.

Strong reflections, and aiming inside a ferro-concrete building? There are now GPS based compass apps for smart phones.

Mine seems to be unaffected by being indoors in our house which has a large number of (now redundant) AC-mains powered heating panels above the ceiling, which are still earthed, so are probably forming a partial Faraday screen.

Which reflection or main signal direction to aim at for station X?

I don't know if FM fool tells you the polarisation of each FM transmitter's signal. It is usually mixed ie some vertical and some horisontal or circular. A rhombic won't really 'care' about pol'n.

A T antenna mounted on a swivel either vertically on a sort of lazy-susan base / or horisontal may help you find the best axis for a rhombic. Use the signal-strength meter on the MR78 and listen. Or borrow a field-strength meter - if it's too optimistic. ? Lots of SS meters on tuners are, to make the tuner seem sensitive in the store.

Record the bearing that gives the least worst sound (best?) off the T-ribbon for each desired station. Then decide if you need a spread rhombic or two. It may depend on how many desired stations you have.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some thoughts about apartments FM and tall buildings? - Timbo in Oz 16:09:54 10/13/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.