Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

that adjustable rabbit ears antenna goes on a tabel or on top of your rack

you adjust the position and length of the two rods, and then you twiddle the knob. Usually I find that having the rod closest to the station's txer slightly shorter than the one behind it.

I am in Australia, maate. So, you will need to get a topographical map of where you are which includes the transmitter (txer) sites.

You should also use google maps to get a compass picture of your home's orientation on the block.

Then you plot the bearings on the big map from your place to the two txer sites. Then plot them on to the block picture and from the room and tell me us about that.

And then use the phone app. to find where they might be in relation to your room with all its reflections. You may find there is one set-up that's best for both stations. You may need two very different arrangements for the rods and the knob. You may find that neither is exactly pointed where the maps you have done say they should be pointed.

This will be due to your room's own reflections.

I have been fortunate until ,now to have just one big tower on a tallish mountain to aim at for TV and FM. Now one of the two FM stations I listen to has moved some 15 degrees east of that mountain. And it is the one with the least signal. And, I am using a tube RF front end for my main tuner. IME tube front ends need much more signal to go fully quiet. So, I am thinking through all this myself.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 04/05/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.