Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Noise free antenna cable

It's been awhile since I have been around. I did a search, no definitive answer.

I just upgraded my Magnum Dynalab FT-11 to a MD Etude. I'm using a Metz antenna which is the same as a MD ST-2. I have one local college station that I am having noise problems with in stereo. (Signal, strength is about 9, multipath reads just needle width over 0.) I have lowered it considerably with one nameless 1m cable. I have tried 4 other cables, including a $10 Monster brand from my local hardware store. The Monster cable was really bad. It is kind of a high pitch squeal.
The funny thing is while I was was waiting for the Etude I installed a 40yr old Yamaha CT-600 with a cheap plastic dipole, it had no noise at all. I even tried the dipole with a cheap adaptor on the Etude,but really noisy. I can change the amount of noise by moving the cable.

So l'm looking for a 4ft or 1m 75ohm cable with F connectors, that has excellent insulation from noise. Maybe all I need is a really good Rg6 cable with proper connectors. Or could it be a grounding issue? The Etude is plugged into a PS Audio Dectet with a Pangea AC-14SE MkII. ICs are the same as I used on the last two tuners.
Any specific recommendations?

As a side note, while Yamaha was quiet, the sound from the Etude blows away the Yamaha and the little FT-11. It actually surprised me, as FM has always been for background listening.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Noise free antenna cable - Jeff Starr 19:38:31 03/31/15 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.