Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Unquestionably the finest FM tuner ever made

I don't remember the exact "timing" of his posts. He did have at least one REL, one of which was one that I had "done up" (retubed and aligned). Per his want, he tried "improving" one of them - don't remember the results. During a later visit, we either compared the Rhode Schwarz to it (thru an outboard decoder) or I brought along mine with a "built-in" decoder. In any case, tho to my ears they sounded very close (good frequency response and dynamics), the RS was "quieter" (better S/N ratio). Because (at the time?) Romy's normal listening level is up near the threshold of pain, the noise intruded on quiet passages.

The "sound" at his downtown location (he since moved to a NW suburb was stellar - the few classical stations he listened to (and recorded a LOT of live music from) was glorious. I understand that the Boston FM "situation" has changed significantly since then (5-7 years??)

Charles

O yeah - as you know, Romy has VISCERAL reactions to most everything. He'd be (is) a GREAT mentor tho.

Maybe it was the flat, wide-band nature of the IF amplifier stage but in my system, I have never heard better, more "solid" bass from any other tuner.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.