Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

I understand that you want solid state, but...

S2000

Under $100, the best sound you're gonna find, in my hardly humble opinion , is one of the mono Sherwoods. If you don't need extreme sensitivity (and they ain't bad in that regard, just not top-end), the overall sound quality you'll get just won't be touched in a solid state tuner except those of the top echelon (which you won't find for a C-note).

In fairness, Sherwood, Scott and (even) Fisher made better than average tuners and receivers even after they moved to solid state.

In terms of cheap solid state tuners, look for a Kenwood or a Yamaha analog tuner from the late 1970s. The latter (at least the lower-end ones) are almost embarrassingly unsophisticated in design/engineering -- but they do sound good. A CT-610II will probably set you back about $30. It'll impress no one... but it will sound pretty darned good.

CT610II

The Yamaha CT-800, CT-810 and CT-1010 are all notably better, but also more expensive. That said, my CT-1010 was $75 in good working order, and is a pretty competent and very respectable sounding ss tuner.

DSCN6032

(that's the guts of a CT-1010)
Onkyo and Sansui made a bevy of fairly nice analog tuners over quite a few years, too.

I won't offer any digital recommendations, but that is only because I really don't have enough experience to offer any even possibly meaningful opinions.

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.