Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: FM Future in the US?

I don't think the FM band is very desirable to the wireless people who are the real drivers of govt RF bandwidth auctions. They seem to want the high VHF and UHF frequencies and they tend to get them. So from the govt greed perspective, the current FM band is probably pretty safe. What WILL kill OTA FM (and AM) broadcasting will be internet based radio utilizing streaming and wireless 4G LTE or similar technology for cars. For 2015 or 2016,GM will be offering wireless internet connectivity for some of its high end infotainment systems including the equivalent of a wireless hotspot onboard. If GM is publicizing this feature you can bet all other carmakers are at a similar level of development. When this technology becomes commonplace, OTA broadcasting will fade into irrelevance and disappear for both mobile and stationary apps. I'd guess the transition will occur in ten to twenty years unless some unforeseen technological issue arises......or the public resists it. Since baby boomers are beginning become less important to the markets, I expect it will be the younger generations that will readily adopt a wireless streaming model of radio without hesitation. Since streaming of music is the primary growth area of music distribution today and it's the young generations driving it, the transition has probably already begun.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: FM Future in the US? - Steve O 18:21:44 12/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.