Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: FM Future in the US?

I doubt very much that analogue FM broadcasting will stop anytime soon in the US. There is way too large an installed base of FM receivers in cars which would be made obsolete. Drivers are by far the most important listener base for radio. Unlike TV, car radios cannot be easily "upgraded" to digital replacements, or have converters installed (you can thank the carmakers for making it all but impossible to install aftermarket head units in newer cars). Nor are there the obvious performance improvements with existing digital radio techniques that there were in the conversion from NTSC to HD, which expedited consumer acceptance of the TV switchover.

The UK was talking about shutting down their analogue FM transmitters once their digital radio system had sufficient market penetration, but that's been indefinitely deferred since there's no indication that their digital system will ever reach that critical mass.

So I don't worry about my FM tuners becoming useless because the transmitters have been shut off. I do worry about most stations broadcasting junk from both a content and sound quality perspective, but there are still enough decent stations in my area (mainly college and public) to make a good tuner very important to me.

Edits: 12/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.