Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: A couple quick noob questions for radio

1. Yes. Just monitor an FM broadcast from your normal commercial station with the meters on a cassette recorder or a CD Burner. There's very little level change.

Just saying "compression" is added is overly simplistic. In order:
1. Phase rotator
2. AGC (Automatic Gain Control)
3. Stereo 'enhancement'
4. EQ (Equalization)
5. Multiband compression & limiting
6. Pre-emphasis & HF limiting
7. Clipping

See the linky below for a rather technical discussion of these stages.

Then look at Orban products; the Optimod-FMxxxx series
"Could you use more punch? More sizzle? More overall loudness to grab and hold dial surfers? A cleaner, purer signal for a discriminating classical audience? Or just extended geographic reach?"

http://www.orban.com/products/radio/

2. Sibilance. I think of sibilance only as it applies to the human voice. ("Esss words".) Can't say I've heard the term applied to music, but now I'll keep an ear out for it.

Radio station turntables?? Maybe with the exception of some specialized vinyl-only programming, radio is 99.x% digital files either broadcast directly, or bounced via microwave relay to a nearby mountain top translator/repeater.

The playlist is assembled days or weeks in advance. That's why you can go to a radio station website, see the playlist, and the time the song was played down the second.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.