Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

A couple quick noob questions for radio

I said some of this just a few posts below so sorry for repeating myself. I've had an NAD 412 for about 15 years and always kept it in a secondary system and used it for background music. I really liked it and thought it sounded wonderful but never really considered it for primary listening. Recently I put it in my main system and hooked it up to a good antenna and am very happy with the results. This is clearly an option for dedicated listening, not just background music. So I've kicked up a couple questions over the last few days resulting from more careful listening and observing.

- Does radio auto manipulate dynamics? I've noticed quiet passages of music seem just as loud as full throated passages. It makes me wonder if radio stations dynamically normalize the signal to keep a relatively standard intensity. I guess you wouldn't want drivers constantly turning up and down the volume or being blown away all the sudden.

- The local classical station yesterday was playing a Mahler. There was quite a bit of sibilance, but of course you know its Mahler. Anyway, is that just in the recording or playback vehicle (i.e.turntable) or does radio have it's own unique susceptibilities to sibilance? What about tuners? Are some tuners more prone to sibilance than others? They are doing a good bit of signal processing and I'm sure there is potential for error in there somewhere.

Thanks

Nate
You can't cheat an honest man, never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump -- W.C. Fields

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - A couple quick noob questions for radio - texanater 07:26:30 11/21/14 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.