Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

In a nutshell, Timbo?

Performance.

I was playing around with late night DXing. I considered installing the Radio Shack shortwave antenna kit I mentioned elsewhere in this thread. But I wouldn't have left it hooked to the radio, and fishing the wire in from outside on the occasions I wanted to DX hardly seemed worth the bother.

Many sites recommended a no longer made tunable AM antenna, which I forget the name of. I started reading about the Terk, and some said it was "just as good" as the one I had been looking for, used.

When the Terk is dialed to the frequency the radio is tuned to, I get a very brief interruption (for want of a better word) of the audio from the speaker, which would seem to indicate that it's not broken. But that's about all I get. Stations don't seem any clearer, stronger, no less static, etc.

I thought perhaps the lack of improvement was because I was trying to use the Terk with an inexpensive Sony clock radio I use in the bedroom. The Sony has no provision for an external antenna hook-up, so I tried it with the antenna in close proximity to the radio. For those who may not be aware of it, that is how these AM antennas are supposed to work.

Figuring I'd get better performance with direct hook-up to a better radio, I tried a few others I have, which do have external antenna terminals. I tried it with a GE Superadio (noteworthy for its AM performance), a Marantz 105 and Yamaha T-80 AM/FM tuners. The ferrite rods / loops of those radios worked just as well as the Terk.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • In a nutshell, Timbo? - 1973shovel 04:38:03 11/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.