Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Long Wire Antenna

"The relatively simple long wire antenna can be used as an extension to a radio's existing antenna, or connected to the radio receiver terminals.

The basic long wire antenna system consists of:

Heavy gauge insulated wire or 4 gauge copper wire for the antenna.

Wire situated at least 2.5 meters high (i.e. above head height).

The wire should be at least 20 meters long with no joins.

Insulators are installed at each end of the wire to ensure the house and tree (or post) is isolated from the antenna.

The antenna should be placed away from any objects that may interfere with reception.

The feed line is soldered to the antenna wire. There must be a loop in the feed line just before it enters the house so rainwater drips off.

The feed line is connected to the antenna terminal of the radio. A separate wire runs from the earth terminal to the earth spoke.

If the radio does not have terminals, the feed line can be attached to the radio's own antenna."

The above information, along with the graphic, was lifted off some other site, a LONG time ago. I can't vouch for its performance or, more importantly, its safety. It seems pretty straightforward, however.

I bought the Radio Shack Shortwave antenna kit shown below some years ago, but never used it. Radio Shack doesn't carry it anymore, but maybe you can find one on ebay or elsewhere. The picture's not mine, or I'd give you the RS part number.

Giving in to convenience, I spend about $40 on one of these, the Terk AM Advantage tunable AM antenna, but wasn't very impressed with it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.