Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: mmm-hmmm

I dunno about Mike. The feedback here seems to indicate he is somewhere between a magician and warlock when it comes to get them to their potential. Wish I had know it when I had my S5000II. It was working in spec from the tech results here but, he thought there was potential to get it even better with some changes but he had no experience with the model and did not want to start digging into a customer's unit to experiment. He did buy one to dig into but closed shop and passed away not long after so likely never got to it. He especially loved and was amazed by the loudness contour system and as the old timer said, it was the only one he had ever seen that actually would do what it should with every speaker. i do wish Sherwood had kept it when it went ss. Yamaha in the CA610II used a similar setup. I guess though, Sherwood found the public just did not understand how a contour circuit should work preferring some arbitrary predetermined curve that bore no relationship to the speakers that all other used save maybe one other company.

I had thought about a couple of things he thought about, though. 1) convert the heaters to dc and, 2) replace the tone and volume controls with resistor based selectors though he felt the controls used were decent enough. Or, at least, for 2) mod to add a tone control defeat switch for each control.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: mmm-hmmm - Brian Levy 10:56:30 06/22/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.