Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Running antenna cable to attic or outside.

Running cable is a pain wherever it is run. Fishing cable up and through walls may be tougher than drilling a hole through the brick and then feeding it back in the attic. I can't say without seeing the environment. If you have drywall there are fish tapes and fiberglass rods to aid in putting cable through walls. If it's an older plaster house more pain.

If you have a chimney and can mount an antenna outside on it consider that. Also a directional antenna with a way to rotate it (best is a rotor which is a motor with an indoor control) will give the best result. Height is big with FM. Having a directional antenna and hoping you can find a spot that it will work well is a big compromise. You'll find some stations work best in one direction but others don't.

Of course a decent omnidirectional antenna mounted on either the roof or the attic beats almost anything indoors at the tuner. Do a directional and a rotor if you can, it's worth it. Nothing can overcome a bad location that is low or has buildings or other metal structures between your antenna location and the stations antenna location.

Good luck.

ET

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Running antenna cable to attic or outside. - Awe-d-o-file 16:20:57 03/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.