Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: FM tuner recommendations

I do not know either receiver so can not help but, would definitely suggest starting with them. Listening helps train the ear and if you have a recording of something that is played by a station then you can compare. I used to do this when I had a very large record collection and I knew what the local classical station was going to broadcast in advance. Sometimes when I listened to something I liked, I'd rush down to the local shop and pick up the recording and then do a comparison. When I had my stores it was easier as we set up a mini FM transmitter and broadcast the recording and then listen to the recording through the same system. This can still be done as there are wireless fm transmitters available today for iPods, etc. I have one for listening to a .mp3 player I fill with old time radio programs, something I really like to listen to.

Just comparing the 2 units' tuners through your system will likely help in educating you as to what to listen for and strengths and weaknesses of each. At least a starting point.

I would suggest starting out with the tuner and then considering the antenna system. As you listen to local stations a folded dipole ribbon may be sufficient or an omnidirectional S antenna mounted outdoors may be sufficient.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: FM tuner recommendations - Brian Levy 17:03:13 02/28/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.