Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

FM tuner recommendations

Many of the tuner forums seem to be "dead," with little or no activity for several years. Perhaps they are going the way of many radio stations - to the dogs and digital! Looks as if there are still a some folks that appreciate radio here on the Asylum, so I am hoping someone will be able to give me advice.

I would like to add an FM tuner to my 2-channel system. The system consists of a Teres Audio turntable and an Audio Aero Prima CD-player, Cain & Cain Abby speakers. I use a Mapletree 3-postiion switch box to change sources for my Art Audio Carissa Signature tube amp. Position number three on the switch box is just waiting for the interconnects from a nice tuner!

I have read through some of the information available on the FM Tuner Information site; much of it is way over my head, so I am hoping I can get some "newbie" advice here.

I live in the Denver metro area; most of the radio stations I listen to have a decent signal. I listen to NPR and a really nice jazz station for the most part, and some stations that carry alternative and classic rock.

What 'entry level' but decent FM tuners should I be considering? I would love a vintage tube tuner, just because, but solid state tuner recommendations are welcome - and probably more likely candidates, given my budget. My budget is not very big, $200 or less would be ideal.

I understand that a good outdoor antenna is also somewhat essential and hope to get one of these as well, so recommendations for that would also be welcome. I would prefer one that can be mounted on a side wall as opposed to the roof. (Had to have a new roof installed last year and really don't want to put holes in it! We're talking about an amateur - me - installing the antenna, after all.)

Holly

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - FM tuner recommendations - OakIris 08:18:47 02/14/14 (45)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.