Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

A salutory tail of misinformation, unthinking responses

and etc.

My main tuner is a now modified old valve simulcast stereo rcvr - a Kenwood W8.

When driven hard by one very strong FM signal it produced high levels of TV interference on the old analogue TV signal. The TV channels affected depended on harmonics of the strong station's frequency + / _ the IF frequency. Noting that this did NOT affect the sound quality from this tuner and this station which is excellent.

The house has a single coax cable network for TV and FM RF signals, six wall plates.

The sprays of TVI were coming back out of the tuner and getting into any TV connected to the coax network.

The coax network was driven by an array of two VHF, one UHF antenna and one long random AM/MW antenna, all on the same mast.

THE most common advice from the supposedly technically astute was to have separate runs of coax for the FM rcvrs and a separate run for the two TVs. Not cheap even if I did all the work under the house with the spiders and etc.

BUT ..... what about cross-feed from one antenna into and out of the other antennas on the same mast? Yes, they WERE all told of this when asked for advice.

Likely to defeat the effort I'd reckon.

Click below for the RIGHT solution.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - A salutory tail of misinformation, unthinking responses - Timbo in Oz 22:38:47 08/18/13 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.