Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

The difference will be entirely due to the engineering approach of the station.

Leaving aside

i)transmitted power - where the difference should be quite small #, depending on

ii) your 'radio reception system's' ability to reject multipath, and
iii) its ability to fully limit the 'tuner' on all stations being compared #.
iv) most of this is down to your antenna.

The wavelength/frequency differences are most unlikely to affect anything, band-II is very narrow, lambda ranges from 2.8 to just 3.4 metres.

A quality station uses little processing with as little dynamic range compression as possible, or just peak limiters. Such a station should sound very quiet most of the time.

If they do live direct broadcasts of simply-miked acoustic music you'll have one of the best sources possible for an audiophile, as there are no storage-medium losses. ???? Yes, despite the bandwidth limitation and IME.

Australia's national ABC Classic FM network used to transmit here in Canberra the nation's capital right down in the bottom of band II and now transmits on 102.3.

The only other local station of any quality is down at 92.7, previously on 103.1. Its power is below 1/6th the power of ABC Classics main (102.3) transmitter.

Yet both sound excellent and always have, making investment in best possible tuner and antenna combinations worthwhile. We can also compare live OBs at the capital's venues to our own experience of the venues.

Canberra is a very spread out 'city' of several townships, many 'down holes' / in separate valleys of the Great Dividing Range, so that multipath is a serious problem, as was ghosting on analogue TV. So bad indeed that there are two relay point hills with smaller transmitters to meet some of the problems.

To sum up, sound quality on FM - as a system working correctly to standard through to your part of it in your home - is unaffected by the transmitted frequency.

I believe that many low-power / low budget local stations were allocated frequencies down the bottom of band II in the USA, and given their low budget they often can't futz with the audio signal, nor do they need to compete by using compression. So, if your reception system is up to their low power (full limiting on each of them) they can sound very good.

Is that clear?

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 05/17/12 05/17/12 05/17/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.