Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

KBAQ Phoenix - is noise due to IBOC from HD Radio?

In Chandler I get a strong signal from both KBAQ and KJZZ but KBAQ is noisier. The noise goes away in mono.

I've experienced this on both tube and solid-state tuners, three of which are freshly aligned. I'm suspecting in-band-own-channel noise due to HD radio, but I don't have the instrumentation to confirm this. If any RF experts out there have data, I'd really like to know. I'm planning on building an FM decoder and the design depends on the answer.

I wasn't listening to FM much when HD radio got turned on; did anyone in the Phoenix area notice a change? Please let me know.

I've volunteered for both stations, they're in the same building; I don't
believe the source quality is different. KBAQ's online stream is quiet but not the high bitrate I would like.

Have others experienced this problem with KBAQ? Another FM user here in the East Valley reports KBAQ is noisier on several tuners he has tried. Another user in Pinnacle Peak says he does not have that problem.

Thanks for your observations!

Regards, openmind

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - KBAQ Phoenix - is noise due to IBOC from HD Radio? - openmind 13:15:12 02/13/12 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.