Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

AFAIK rejecting multi-path is a phase issue so capture ratio isn't much of a help

Or, and in the same sense, a time of arrival issue.

Further, for capture ratio to help if it can at all, the direct signal has to be very strong compared to the reflected signals, and only when the reflected signals are considerably weaker than the main signal.

This certainly doesn't apply where I live, The level of the combined reflected signals exceeds the level of the direct signal. It must do because to either side of the known LOSight the signal towards each of the two large hills on either side is just as strong as the direct signal, off a directional antenna. So 3db higher in combination, IF I was using an omni, or a single dipole.

So with an Omni like a whip, what IS the main signal? the strongest!? WE can see now that that will not necessarily be the cleanest.

If the strongest signal is always best, which would need to be true for capture ratio to be a reliable indicator of the MP rejection capability of a tuner, why then do some MFRs add MP indicators?

So, MP is the thing you want to minimise, along with maximising signal strength with low MP. Again, this argues for a directional antenna with considerable gain, and ideally a multipath indicator on the tuner.

Because I listen to real stereo recordings a lot I can hear multipath quite easily on live acoustic broadcasts miked in real stereo. A correctly oriented directional antenna maximises 3D, nuance, interplay and expression.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 12/29/11 12/29/11 12/29/11 12/29/11 12/29/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.