Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: regulated screen supply

Hello,

I knew from your post that you were simply trying to assist me, and I thank you for that. Also, I am very SORRY to have given my post the wrong tone. I apologise.

Allow me to explain please. I have been building amps for thirty years now, and I up until a couple of yeras ago, I'd actively series double-regulate everything, but technically and philisophically now a days, I am not so sure that that is the best way for ME to go about it.

An active regulator employs NFB, has its own time domain, and I feel that if I can get similar results, or maybe better results, without the complexity of single ( or double ) regulation, I would like to do that. I've not tried all regulators, but I personally do not think ANY of the regulators are really good enough for G2 audio.

Part of the modifications to the pentode amp I am now doing consists of REMOVING the Audio Research D-75's tube type Screen Regulator, and converting it to a passive Ultra Low DCR supply. It sounds considerably better to me without the stock active regulator on the screens!! I feel the stock regulated is just not good enough, in fact - pure poison to the purity, authority, etc. of all these D-75/76/150 amplifiers.

Now my friends, if I can effect a brute force Shunt Regulator for G2, with just four 12 watt MRA-12 Mills 24.9 K ohm resistors paralleled across the G2 B+ supply, I feel that is a preferred approach for ME, no time domain problems, no NFB employed, about the ONLY downside is that there is noise, from the resistor being across the supply, hence my use of Mills NI's.

When I was ten and twenty years into audio, I was looking for the best " magic active regulator ", but I don't do that much any more! (I designed and built an eight chassis 300+ pound amp in 1976 with 28 active regulators in it.) I trust you understand me now a bit better, and I thank you again for your sincerety and care.

Respectfully,

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.