Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: regulated screen supply

Jeff,

We discussed pentode operation in a different thread. I think I understand your position and I realize that the ideal screen supply is a separate, low impedance source, so that it is isolated from the B+ sag that can be caused by the large swings in plate current. Regulation is out because it is a source of noise.

Problem is, this requires investment in a second power transformer (plus rectifier and smoothing network) for the screens, plus sufficient space to install it. What about using chokes with sufficiently large smoothing capacitors to provide a reasonably steady voltage for normal listening levels of, say, orchestral music, when the current rises only on transients?

What I have in mind is a PP EL34 stereo amp with an SS bridge rectifier followed by CLCLC network, consisting of:

100uF smoothing cap
5H choke
470uF reservoir, take-off to OPT centre-taps
10H choke
235uF, take-off to screens and earlier stages.

Whilst I realize this is not quite the azpproach you recommend, would it be worthwhile to try or just a waste of time, in your opinion?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.