Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

wow...

until I finish the amp I'm currently building, this old Quad II is all I have. It's what got me into listening to music again. it may not have the "highest sound quality" compared to other amps but I wasn't comparing it to other amps or tubes or the new Quad II-40.

I was just wondering if someone here who owned a Quad II (not the re-issue) had success replacing it's KT66's with a modern "readily available" replacement. I read in a few places that some modern KT66's draw more current then the 'ol GEC's. There must be a quad of tubes being made currently that don't stray from the old KT66's OG specs.

cheap-Jack, I agree, "sonics is subjective" and at this point I'm happy just replacing the tubes on this 'ol amp w/anything that will able it to make sweet music again without frying the mains transformer. Hopefully the new diy amp will replace the Quad II and I will understand the circuit well enough to confidently experiment and build up to sonic bliss.

A working amp is better then a sculpture on a shelf collecting dust.

Maxdd

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.