Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Not real world

>I'm not quite sure how you are looking at this chart, and then deriving the idea that the 12AX7 inferior "under most conditions".

You say that, but then focus on only one set of conditions in order to refute what I said. The chart shows numerous situations in which the 6SL7 outperforms the 12AX7.

>If you raise the input voltage of each tube until just under grid current flows, as the chart shows, then the 6SL7 overtakes the 12AX7 in performance. It can do a larger output swing, clearly.

And that agrees with what I hear. 5V output isn't real world, at least not in the gain stages I build. The 6SL7 has more dynamic range, and it remains linear long after the 12AX7 has given up. The result is not only improved numbers (which I use only as preliminary qualifiers anyway), but in the sonic impact of the stage. Believe me, I'm not biased toward these octals for any reason other than their sound. I've been comparing the sound of optimized 12AX7 vs. 6SL7 designs for years. There are indeed some 12AX7s that do a more than credible job, but they are extremely rare and likely don't match the published curves (which represent averages only). OTOH, I've never met a 'SL7 I didn't like, with the exception of the E. Eur. variety.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.