Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

how about them...

>>Although the 12AX7 does indeed have a few sweet spots, you have to search for them. It's clearly inferior to its octal predecessor under most conditions.>>

Hi TK,

I'm not quite sure how you are looking at this chart, and then deriving the idea that the 12AX7 inferior "under most conditions".

If you average the output voltage and distortion of the 250V operating point for each tube, with the same signal voltage of 0.1V you get:

12AX7 6.34V 0.3%
6SL7 4.8V 0.5%

In order to do a one-to-one comparison we lower the 12AX7's output and distortion by the ratio of the difference between its Eo and the 6SL7.

4.8/6.34=0.757
0.757*0.3=0.23%

So, at an output of 4.8V, the 12AX7 will have an average of 0.23% distortion. Quite clearly this is lower than the 6SL7's 0.5% average. By half in fact.

If you raise the input voltage of each tube until just under grid current flows, as the chart shows, then the 6SL7 overtakes the 12AX7 in performance. It can do a larger output swing, clearly. So, as both Cheap-Jack and I said, it's all about the circuit, choosing the right operating point, and choosing the right tube for the job at hand.

Now, I know you think that Sylvania cherry-picked some operating points you're calling "sweet spots" - but maybe you could explain to me what a "sweet spot" is, other than simply operating the tube within its linear region. Clearly the tube doesn't have some magical region that can only be found by experimentation?

Joel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.