Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

A suggestion

I am glad you found the 6cg7 a worthwhile tube change. Given what you heard and what I have found with them I might suggest you try a different brand. As AnandR mentioned the Raytheon is a great tube (if you find a source be nice and share please)...the best I have heard so far. But then I have not heard the CBS or TungSol yet. Slyvania's are rather good and one of the easier ones to find. I suggest you try a pair of them and see what you think. They have black plates but a chrome divider. It might help to ground the divider too. It might also be worth the time to readjust the operating conditions a bit (the 6cg7 might do better with a higher plate voltage and/or more current as the 6922 can be run at rather low voltages and still do well). I suggest this because you seem to indicate the 6cg7 is a more forward sounding tube than the 6922. IMHO the 6cg7 should sound more delicate (a slight silvery sheen to brushed cymbals) and less steely than a 6922 in the highs. But that's just my experiences and of course the circuit involved dictates a lot. If it matters I run them in a cascode as well as a split load invertor.

Either way I am glad you liked them. But I do think you can do even better with a different brand and maybe a little tweaking (basically run at 6sn7 operating points). Nice write up and good luck. I might cobble up one of those amps soon myself and when the time comes I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on possible circuit changes and improvments. A friend just picked up some Lowthers and I am thinking a triode strapped PP 6V6 amp might be magic compared to the PPP 6L6 amp he is now using.

Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.