Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Henry...

Right, I'm not pouring doodoo on Dr. Bybee. I'm just curious about what these things really are. There are so many confused or just plain dishonest people in the audiophile world (not to mention the world in general) that it only makes sense to be a bit skeptical when confronted with such an extraordinary claim.

The Bybee marketing says if you put a Quantum Purifier in series with a signal-carrying line, it will selectively remove 1/f noise from the signal. Now, the 1/f noise is random and therefore unpredictable. So to remove it, the Bybee would have to accomplish what is essentially the holy grail of signal processing -- to predict the unpredictable, and thereby separate signal from noise as if by magic. It's really an extraordinary thing.

Consider if we made a faithful recording of 1/f noise and tried to send it as signal over an analog transmission line. Would the Bybee separate our intentional 1/f noise from the residual 1/f noise on the circuit? Or would it remove all the 1/f noise? Or none of it? How could the Bybee tell the difference?

I'm definitely not trying to make doodoo here. These are interesting questions, at least to me. So don't get me wrong. Personally, I think the likelihood that Bybees are a scam, intentional or not, is very high. But I don't have an axe to grind at all with anyone who uses them, likes them, or finds them a good value.

-Henry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.