Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: If only I could make it more powerful.....

Dave,

I stumbled into this just by fooling around one night. I never expected it work that well. What I have worked out is that the driver tube is king. Use an ordinary driver and you will have a ordinary amp. I'm aware of a couple of design on the web one use a 6SJ7 and another uses a transformer coupled 6SN7. I don't think either tube is really up to the job. The tubes I would consider are 71A, 45, 46, 2a3, 10Y - you get the picture.

I started with a triode in the cathode follower but found it did not work very well, not that much power and it would get distress very easily. The tetrode (or pentode) is another ball game. Its is big, clear and confident.

I guess at the end of the day this is not an easy amp for getting lots of power but a way to get the character of a small power triode without the power limitation....And heck its been lots of fun.

Cheers,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: If only I could make it more powerful..... - Anthony Dockrill 18:06:40 10/30/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.