Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: What is happening???

Thnaks for the reply Jim. You have brought up some really good points. I have been working below 500 vdc for so long I hadn't really thought about these things. I will try to answer your questions in order.

1. I think The PIV rating is ok. I am using a 5r4gya and I checked it out on Duncans PSU program and it said it was ok.
2. I will have to check this one out. I really don't know. It's possible.
3. I was using a hammond 125ese at 10k. How do I check to see what it will handle? The coupling cap is rated at 630 vdc and I think it is ok. The filter caps are oil caps. One I know is rated high enough, the other I am not sure about, so I had better see if I can replace it with one I know is.
4. MY PSU is CLC does that mean I don't ahve to worry about the spikes?
5. The schematic calls for a seperate bias power supply. Power tranny, diodes and filter. I can't see that it is fused anywhere. I will have to ask Grover about that one.
Last but not least, for the few minutes I was able to have it running it sounded great! Grover said he thought it would work ok at 750 B+ even though it was originally design for 1000 vdc. I think it is one of the best SE amps I have ever heard. Clean, clear, detailed. Vocals sound great and instruments are true. I have only heard one channel so far. I can't wait to hear it in stereo. It definetly sounds like it will bump out the 300b I have had bread boarded for the last couple of weeks. If anyone has been wanting to crank it up a notch with the 845, you might want to ask Grover to post the schematic again. Or I can if Grover is alright with that.
Any help the inmates can give me in working out these little bugs would be greatly appreciated as I think I just might have to build it.
Thanks!
Vince

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What is happening??? - Vinnie 18:48:29 12/24/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.