Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: End Of Zen schematic

Hey Anand,

Let me begin by saying I am no guru but...
I think the H3008 may be more suitable here.I believe the Hammond was chosen by Tom as the choke because it was a budget part that could do the job at hand while being easily obtainable, budget being the operative word here. Its a power supply choke and not a plate choke so there are some compromises (as always)in its use as a plate choke. Tom can straighten me out here.

The rule of thumb for the choke I know of is preferably ~20H per 1K primary Z so if you are using a opt with a 5K primary you want ~100H. Thats not to say that 15H or 30H will not work, the extra inductance is supposed to work better.
There is another rule of thumb I have read where the opt inductance should be ~4X the choke inductance, so... if you have a 100H choke you want an opt ~400H (thats a lot!!).
Thats part of the reasoning behind the fancy materials in the opt's, higher inductance.
Now, having said all this I have seen more than one design where the choke is ~80H and the opt ~20H, which is the opposite and of course it works.
I breadboarded (new word!) a "parazen clone" 6n1p - Triode wired el84 with a PP opt as choke and 125e as opt and it worked quite well.
I guess with all the rules it still all comes down to trying it and listening to see how it works, just like what Tom did.

AB

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.