Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

my totally subjective (mini) take on Allens diff amp

Having built Allens PP2CS (Kt88 based diff amp), I'll try to offer you my take on it.

Firstly, I didnt want to give my impressions at this early stage as I consider it to still be running-in. Also Im yet to do any tube rolling and major voicing. So I'll keep this short and do an indepth review a few months down the track.

Now I've heard KT88's before, Ive heard em in PushPull + Class A + no GFB before. Ive also been acquainted with a few high quality SE amps, albiet for short periods during in home auditions.

To sum it up quickly, the PP2CS is giving me SE type ease and delicacy, with PP type dynamics. On top of it, the tonality, detail and pure listening joy is jaw dropping. And just to top it off even more, its doing all this on a pair of speakers that are murder to drive (VAF i93s - seas excel based, 5 driver arrangement, impedence that goes down to 2.5 ohms at points, and can push serious air down below 20Hz).

Its probably too early for me to find any annoyances etc, but its looking good so far. So much so that I can *somewhat* comfortly say it will be the last amp I spend money on, or at least some incarnation of it.

Oh and on a totally side note. I replaced one of the monoblock chassis (hammond aluminium) with one made of Carbon Fibre. VERY nice improvement (im not talking about just looks). Cant wait for the other to be completed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • my totally subjective (mini) take on Allens diff amp - avian 17:36:49 04/15/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.