Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Various Bypass Stuff

Two-part answer: it's easy to come up with periodic tables of circuit topologies, but preferences emerge when you listen to them. I tried the forced balance in both driver and output stages, and didn't care for it. I do like the sound of the various WE bypasses, and am curious what Mark turns up in his research on the WE Harmonic Balancer. Nice doctoral paper there for an enterprising grad student (hey, it worked for Richard Small at the University of New South Wales).

As I see it, the common-mode loop path for a PP circuit is from paired plates to paired cathodes (see Loop Distortion Talk). You can force this current to traverse the PS caps and the cathode-bypass cap, but this puts a severe quality demand on the main B+ caps - any coloration present in these caps will emerge in the sound, due to residual imbalance and the occasional excursion into Class AB. By omitting the cathode-bypass cap, using a very high-quality cathode-to-CT bypass, this current avoids the main B+ caps, and flows through the bypass cap instead.

I admit I have a very strong aversion to cap coloration, while other audio designers see caps as sonically benign, or at least more benign than transformers. I don't - but this could be my years of messing with speaker crossovers and trying to find sonically acceptable caps. If I could buy 10 to 50uF Teflon caps, I would probably tolerate caps better than I do. Since I can't, I look at various topologies with cap-coloration in mind.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.