Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

None of the above

Just a guess, really. Both of the Gary's (Dahl and Pimm) have fooled around with the value of the CT-cathode bypass, and you know what, the value isn't critical at all. This is nothing like a parafeed cap (even though it looks like one), where tuning is a critical value dependent on trans inductance and Rp of the power tube.

In this case, all that's happening is the bypass cap is actually *preventing* the amp from becoming a differential amp - omit it entirely, and yup, you have a diff amp - maybe not a great diff amp, no current source, just resistors. Why would I do that? Well, this is part of the style difference between me and Allen - I want the extra surge power that momentary Class AB offers, Allen doesn't. And yes, it sounds different. It can even be auditioned in an Allen-style amp - just have a switchable cap bypass for the current source, and listen for yourself.

So the bypass cap is there for flavor as much as anything - there's not much effect on the rest of the amp operation except peak current delivery capability, which is improved by the option of momentary Class AB operation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.