Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Quick Comments

Having the pleasure of Allen Wright as a guest last fall, I got to see the schematic of his new DPA-300B, and hear it compared to the Aurora and Gary Pimm's PP47 amplifier - a trio of interesting PP amplifiers.

The biggest difference between what Allen is doing and my work is a matter of personal style - Allen likes balanced cascode front end/driver circuits and RC-coupling, while I avoid cascodes and use only (wide-bandwidth) transformer coupling. This gives a different presentation to the sound, hard to describe in the usual hifi terms, but evident on direct comparison.

Probably the biggest difference (and some Asylum members may disagree with me here) isn't the circuit per se, but the sonic character of RC-coupling vs interstage-transformer coupling. To my ears, these sound quite different.

When I started the Amity project in 1995, I had never heard an interstage-coupled amplifier before - hearing the Sakuma amps was still two years in the future. (I was quite surprised to discover the Sakuma amps actually sounded totally different than the Amity - something I would not have expected.)

The Amity was unusual because it was both my first vacuum-tube design project and also because I wanted to create an amplifier with the lowest possible midband distortion in each stage of amplification. DC coupling with active loads could also do that, but my previous experience at Audionics with direct-coupled transistor amps had made me wary of cascading failure modes which can be dangerous with DC-coupled designs. So the Amity was very much a "thought experiment" - the math said it would work, but I had no idea how it would sound. The Ariel was a thought experiment as well, but combining an MTM with a transmission-line was less radical than reviving a mid-Thirties WE design with modern parts.

Listening to the Aurora has been educational - I can now easily hear the character of the SE stage compared to a balanced circuit, which is why I'm going forward with a new amplifier.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.