Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

yep.... it's blue

Hi Henry:

by now i've come to expect that if I say orange you will say blue... just for the thrill of disagreeing.....

I'll address a few of your points none-the-less;

::::A pure single-ended amplifier is simpler::::

how so? especially when you consider an output stage w/ paralleled output tubes... i don't see that it's really much simpler at all...

::::...and a proper push-pull amplifier has much better balance with hardly any more complexity.:::::

hey... basically this arrangement worked reasonably well for McIntosh... look at the phase invertor in the 240 monoblock amp.... essentially the same thing except that it's done several stages earlier...

and how are we defining what constitute's "better balance"? and is your criticism of the "compact" architecture based on the ONE instantiation of the concept done nearly fifty years ago.... or a modern implementation of this architecture as say done by John tucker for stubblebine recording studios?

you guys crack me up sometimes.... I realize it's sport for some....

::::I can't speculate on the sound, but technically the "Compact" design is flawed.::::

Really. so mac didn't know what they were doing either? OK.

::::For simplicity, I think there is a lot to be said for Bas' circuit.:::::

do you mean ralph power's circuit that bas put up? I was going to make some comments under separate cover on that....

::::And I think Allen's circuit is pretty nice, too, and it offers much better balance -- which seems to be the point of push-pull after all.:::::

funny... they may be more similar than you think....

and... again... "offers much better balance" than what... the compact as drawn in ONE example fifty years ago.... or better than this concept executed with a current source in the cathode circuit? any proof for the above claims?

you guys are funny....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.