Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Torroids as audio

I’ve been experimenting with power torroids for audio, like Steve Bench. Time to update folk with my findings.

Like Steve I used the Talema 3.2 watt 115+115:22+22 on the input as a phase splitter. My Wayne Kerr bridge has broken so I cannot tell you any inductances easily, and don’t have time to set anything else up. But I can sweep accurately from 20hz to 20khz, and here are the findings in that range. The input, phase splitter transformer is completely flat for the entire range. That was encouraging.

I am not used to push pull building so many failed attempts to make use of this and head scratchings later, what I ended up with was a pair of 6em7’s, oscillator to maximise gain after phase splitting transformer, rc coupled to power sections, which are rc coupled to drive ½ each of a 6080.

Output transformer is a 60va 115+115 into 6+6 volts. Secondary paralleled for about 3k pk to pk into 8 ohm.

Measuring the whole, we start light -3db at 20hz gradually and smoothly rise in response to 100hz where we remain flat to 20khz beyond which I cannot generate an accurate signal at the moment (using a test CD, the valve signal generator has decided to become a radio receiver and plays Yorkshire Coast Radio quite nicely. Something in there is oscilating I guess.)

Where are we losing the base? Well I set a fairly high role off point at the final drive, around 8hz, thinking to protect the output’s from low level saturation. This is the point where power begins to fall. I measure a 1/12th peak to peak voltage drop at the point where the output tube is driven at 20 hz. Well I wouldn’t say that was much of a problem. Changing the cathode bypass cap on the output stage makes no difference to base response. I think the only explanation is the limitations of the output transformers alone.

How does it sound. Excellent. I am driving the output stage deep in class a, a long way from any possibility of AB and the sound is good. Very nice tone, good air, loudspeakers are impossible to visualise if you shut your eyes, it’s a room full of depth and breadth. The fact that it is base light does not show, -3db at 20hz is acceptable. It depends on your use, and how you have set your hearing expectations. You can tune your ears to accept this. Room acoustics play a much larger part in the picture.

These would be fine for mid/high frequency bi-amp, or for Lowthers with an active sub.

If I wanted a one for all amp in my very best listening room, I would buy the correct output transformers, but for 95% of applications these torroids put in a first class performance, the overall package is far better than most other things I have heard.

Power capability opf the torroids is your enemy, I am driving mine to just 3 watts, for Lowthers that is overkill. If you need much more I think again you’ll need proper output transformers.
I took on board Dave Slagle’s suggestion of increasing the turns per volt on the torroid, but for me to achieve that is about as much work as winding myself a C core, so I left it alone. I would have to hand thread each turn, I recon on about 10 turns per volt, so I’d be there all day, on each one and it would look like a bird’s nest at the end.

Regards

Paul Barker

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Torroids as audio - Paul Barker 02:23:36 02/05/02 (19)

You can not post to an archived thread.