Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

After all the theorising, some practical input.....

Far be it from me to cast aspersions on the value of theory but some practical results might help..

My preamp has a balanced output transformer feeding to the grids of the balanced inputs on my power amp and the terminating resistance is switchable from 600ohms (design spec of transformer) through to 500k (grid resistances of power amp). This is fairly closely analogous to the situation you're describing.

Do they sound different? - yes they do. Is there a measurable difference in square wave response? - ditto.

Is one clearly superior? NOPE. Dull recordings can sound "livelier" with higher terminating impedance (and therefore more ringing) but some material (esp CDs) become intolerable on these settings so I switch in more damping.

Remember the engineering rule - there is always one obvious solution to any problem and it's invariably wrong.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • After all the theorising, some practical input..... - Mark Kelly 14:46:49 01/26/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.