Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: How can that work well?

VRY, I don't take this as confrontational. I know the tone doesn't always mirror the intent in technical discussions like this. It's just the nature of posting these short messages.

Anyway, here's what I said earlier:

"For a transformer to operate correctly, AC current must flow through the primary and magnetically induce a corresponding current in the secondary."

I didn't mean to imply that it's impossible to induce a difference of potential without current flow in the secondary. In fact, that's the first thing that happens when AC is applied across the primary. The lines of force cut across the secondary windings, inducing a voltage. However, the mere fact that the voltage is induced doesn't mean it will correspond to the turns ratio, or that the same voltage will be induced across the entire spectrum. Numerous other factors will influence those results, and all of them effect the output in a way that is directly related to the load on the secondary.

The capacitance between primary and secondary is only one factor. Capacitance distributed along the length of each individual winding is another. Then there's the resistance of the windings, the inductance, leakage inductance, core losses, etc. etc. The bottom line is that the transformer manufacturer must design the tranformer for a specific load, and the builder must apply that same load, or the transformer won't operate as intended.

My advice to anyone interested in this is to follow the manufacturer's recommendation for operational impedance (source and load) and forget about squarewave response. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to improve on the manufacturer's recommendations or the resultant performance in any meaningful way.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.