Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: you know...

Hi Pete:

you had initially written (in part):

:::...it was his opinion that *any* audio transformer will ring when subjected to a square wave - the true test is music signals in the passband. His point is they are inductive and don't handle the sudden transition of square waveforms.::::

and in a suceeding reply to Voltsec you wrote;

::::Your point about not all transformers ringing is well taken.::::

I wanted to make a few comments on the text in the first passage... but these are not directed to you in particular... and I felt that another view could be considered as regards "square waves" and "ringing"....

as voltsec also points out... it is not a *necessary* truth that *all* transformers will ring when passing square waves....

and I had one of those deep technical discussions via the phone with voltsec last evening re: square waves and ringing....

both intuitively and empirically I know that many well designed transformers can pass 10khz square waves very, very well. without uncontrolled ringing or excessive amplitude overshoot...

the passage I quoted above suggests that inductance limits achieving good square wave performance... but it's not OCL that limits square wave response (typically) but rather the amount of leakage inductance at some higher frequencies and the amount of capacitiance (stray, shunt and load capacitances) and their interaction which often creates the conditions necessary to have large peaks or spikes in the square wave response....

but... importantly... both the capacitances and the leakage inductance are factors that can be controlled by the deisgner of magnetics... and the interplay of the two do have some bearing on the sound quality as well as technical (electrical) performance of the unit.... of course, the Q of the transformer must be designed properly as well...

the point I am aiming at (with or without success :=)... is that if you control your leakage, your capacitances and the Q of the transformer you can very well have a unit that looks good on 10khz square waves....

it is not the case that the "inductance" of the transformer makes good square wave response unobtainable.

MSL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: you know... - mqracing 09:12:48 01/26/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.